Friday, October 14, 2005

the importance of being friendly

... has struck me yesterday. i work at a tehnical assistence centre. as part of my job, every friday i have to call the technicians in charge and let them know they're on duty call. now there's one guy i particularly enjoy calling, because he's always so friendly. he once asked me to help him out, make some photocopies and leave them for him to pick up, i said 'no problem' and then couldn't stop him thanking me. we've been on very friendly terms ever since.
one day he asked me why i always call to let him know he was on duty, and not just to ask how he's been. i promised one day i'll surprise him. a couple of weeks passed, he called on tuesday with some job stuff and i remembered my promise. so i called him yesterday. i was having a difficult time with a task that wasn't even mine to complete and felt the need for a friendly voice. he asked what was up and i said 'nothing. just wanted to ask how you've been'. there was a moment of silence, and i went on 'remember, i promised one day i'll surprise you and just call to ask how you've been. well that day is today. just wanted to say hi.' he burst into laughing and said he was great, for two reasons: the one that i stated - calling him - and hearing my voice.
don't get me wrong. this was no flirting. we've seen face to face maybe a couple of times. we talked work business and exchanges a few niceties. he may be twenty years older than me. i don't know and it doens't matter. this is just a matter of people being friendly to each other for no particular reason. but god, it made my day yesterday.

No comments: